11 March 2010

Catching Up- March 7th-8th

Sorry I haven't written in so long. We had bad internet in Udaipur and none in Kolkata.

March 7th- After I wrote on Sunday, Mom and I finished packing and getting everything ready for the trip. We left the house early, so we could drop our bags at the Fulbright House. When we got there, it took a while for the guards to make sure we had permission to drop our bags there. After we dropped them, we went to the airport. We checked our bags and went through sucurity really fast. I think it was the cane :). After we went through sucerity, we sat with Carol, Megan, Phyllis, and Cari. We met them at the hotel at breakfast that day. I got french-fries from McDonald's.

When we boarded the plane, we had to take a bus to get there. It was my first time at an airport like this. It was cool. The plane was small, but comphy. We had a connection in Jodhpur, but only had to wait about 20 minutes. The flight from Jodhpur to Udaipur was only half an hour. I spent both flights reading. They gave us really yummy food. We had containers with rice, palak paneer with kofta (excuse my spelling), and another spicy saucy thing. I had fruit and mom had veggies. For desert, there were these sweet dough balls. Yummy!

When we got to Udaipur, everyone got their checked baggage, and we had a bus to take us to the hotel. It was a nice drive with lots of interesting things to look at. We saw lots and lots of cows!

The hotel, as I described it, was "like the white house but bigger." It was huge and white with big pillars. There were fountains with elephants spouting the water. It was so cool. Our room was really big! We had two beds, a western toilet, a shower that didn't spill, a television, and a beautiful view. Mom read some of the book about the confrence while I relaxed and watched t.v.

We found out that there is this really good bug stuff that is a cream called Odomos. It works great! Dinner was really good and we met lots of new people. After dinner, we went upstairs and I fell asleep really fast.

March 8th- I woke up around 5, and we went to breakfast around 7ish. I had lots of good juices, eggs, smiley face potatos, and these little pastries with jelly. The meetings started late. First, all the Fulbrights and other people there introdced themselves. Then there was another presentation, but I just read. After, we took the confrence picture. During tea time, I left and took a walk around and took lots of pictures. Then, I went to the pool and met some of the kids. We swam for a while, then played capture the flag. Lunch was really good, but they didn't have any chairs to sit in. It was very irritating. After lunch, I read by the pool, then me and some of the other kids swam until we were too cold. The water was freezing!

Mom and I took naps during her break and ended up being late to the concert before dinner. It was old fashion India singing. During dinner, we met new people and made plans to go into town and shop the next day. I got tired and went to bed early.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Celia,

Thanks for recording and sharing your trip with everyone...it is so to read it and to feel a small part of what your adventure is like! I hope you have a wonderful time, and grow and learn in many new ways.

best wishes,

Beth Herbert (from Lake Forest College)

Steve Ford said...

Elephants spouting water! I love that!

I'm surprised that the water was so cold - wasn't it hot there? Did it get cold during the night?

Anonymous said...

Hi Celia,

Who are all these other kids you keep meeting? Children of other Fulbrights playing hooky from school and galivanting around the world like you, or locals? Either way it sounds like you aren't bored!

Hope you're having a great time. Kiss your mom for me.

Love,

Liz Okin Ninyo